5 Ways for Moms to De-Stress
Do you ever feel like no matter how much you do during the day, it still isn't enough? When you have kids, (especially small children) you likely find yourself doing everything for them—from feeding, to bathing, to carpooling and more. The days can start to feel like they blend together.
You also may notice that finding time for yourself is becoming a rarity. Whether you are a mom to a newborn or a mom of three, it's easy to let stress build up. If you’re looking for some tips to relax and finally have some time to yourself, then here are 5 ways for moms to de-stress…
- Take 5 minutes to yourself and breathe deeply — You may be thinking, where are you going to find five minutes alone? Shut the closet door or go into your bathroom if you have to. Close your eyes and breathe in for 5 counts. Then breathe out 5 counts. Do this 5 times. This simple act will help you remove yourself from the chaos for a moment and reset. You can also listen to a guided meditation; Headspace is a great option (with a trial version that you can download for free, or a full version that you can purchase).
- Remember to laugh — Whether it's watching your favorite movie, or joining your kids in a fun and silly activity, laughter is a wonderful way to de-stress. Even just smiling will make you feel better.
- Enjoy something special that is just for you — It doesn't have to be a day at the spa (although you deserve that too!), but even something small, like getting your favorite coffee drink from Starbucks. A little treat for yourself can feel like a small luxury. Make it a habit; it can help break up the day.
- Have support — “It takes a village” is a famous saying when it comes to raising a family. Having connections, whether it is extended family, friends or new mom friends who are going through a similar life stage is an important piece of keeping you grounded. Reach out to someone when you are feeling overwhelmed.
- Get some fresh air — Even a few minutes outside can help you reset. If you have a baby, put him or her in the stroller and go for a walk. Changing your environment is a great way to shift your focus. It can also be a healthy distraction, especially if you feel like you need a break from your thoughts.
These are just a few ways for moms (or anyone who needs a few moments to recharge) to de-stress throughout the day. Self-care is essential to your mental health; plus, it will help you feel more connected to your family.