5 Simple Habits that Can Improve Your Energy
There doesn’t seem to be enough time in the day to get everything we would like to done! We might even be adding to the problem by giving in to habits that actually deplete our energy and move us farther from our goals.
Here are 5 quick tools to use to improve your energy now:
- Drink more water: Staying hydrated throughout the day is a key ingredient in keeping up energy. 72 ounces of water, or 8 glasses a day are recommended for optimal hydration. Drinking water replenishes your system, helping your body digest food, and flushing out toxins. Have even one more glass each day if that’s all you can do right now. Slowly increase as you can.
- Get more sleep: This probably isn’t news to you, but don’t underestimate the importance of sleep. Your body needs 7-9 hours each night to recharge for the following day. For some, this may seem an impossible task. The best thing you can do for yourself is to make at least one small change. Perhaps eliminate watching tv or going on your phone right before bed. Bright lights can stimulate your brain when you are trying to relax it.
- Take a break from unhealthy relationships: Unhealthy relationships can take a physical and mental toll on us if we do not address them by creating chaos, stress or unnecessary drama. If you find yourself in a relationship that is clearly more draining than rewarding, or if you notice that you are compromising your values or boundaries for another person, perhaps take some space from that relationship for a while. Sometimes the distance is enough to give us information about whether or not the relationship is meaningful and worth it.
- Regulate eating habits: Your body’s is fueled by the food you eat and in order for it to thrive, you need to give it high quality fuel many times throughout the day. You probably wouldn’t put low-test fuel in your car and expect it to perform well! A general rule of thumb for healthy eating is 3 meals and 2 snacks per day, sitting down to dine mindfully and experience the taste sensations whenever possible, and checking in throughout in order to feel your fullness.
- Set clear boundaries: While it is a wonderful trait to extend yourself to others and go above and beyond at work or within your friend or family circle, it is equally important to check in with yourself and ask if you are taking on too much. If you notice that what you are taking on is potentially affecting your physical or emotional well being, chances are, you need to re-evaluate the situation. It is okay to leave work on time to say no to a friend. You might feel uncomfortable in the moment, however you will also probably feel the rewards in a powerful and instantaneously way.
Life is full of challenges and obstacles. Why not make some small changes to help yourself today?